Sunday, September 30, 2012

Freshers Recap

Monday
Back to School at Crisis (see previous post for a photo)

Tuesday
High School Stereotypes at Pitcher and Piano. I decided to go as a goth for two reasons. First, I didn't have the appropriate attire to dress like a "Chav" with my roommates. (For those of you who aren't familiar with the term, a chav is a person who is the equivalent of ... white trash in America? I am still not sure if that is right but it's the closest thing we could come up with when they were trying to explain it to me.)
Miriam and Me. We both dressed as goths
Wednesday
On Wednesday the theme was Tropical at a club called Walkabout. I decided to have a night in to rest instead of attending this one. The week one reps who coordinate freshers week also plan alternative events for people who don't particularly enjoy clubbing. It just so happened that on this night there was a hypnotist performing as well. So a few of us decided to attend that instead. This was my first time ever seeing a hypnotist and I have to admit, I was pretty impressed. Granted there are always a few people who participate who obviously just crave the attention and fake it the whole time, but there were a few people who I really truly believed were hypnotized. At one point he convinced the students that their right shoe was their phone called the iShoe and that their favorite celebrity was calling to ask them out on a date. One of the guys was literally having a conversation on his shoe with the actress who plays Bellatrix LeStrange on Harry Potter. It was absolutely incredible and I had a hard time believing these brand new college students would get up on stage and willingly make fools of themselves in front of all of their new peers. 
Here he had them convinced that the room was absolutely freezing
and they were so cold that they had to cuddle with the person next to them to
keep warm. Note the guys on the left snuggling.
Just a photo of them all sleeping
He asked Char to be the queen and told everyone on stage that they were going to meet
 the queen. Wish I had gotten a photo of their reactions when they shook Char's hand... 
Thursday
Baywatch night at Ocean. This club was huge but a lot of fun as well. They played some classic 90's and early 2000's music which is always so much fun to dance to. Unfortunately I left a little bit early due to some miscommunication between me and Char. So once we were both back at the hall we ordered pizza and called it a night. 
Me and Holly, one of the girls in my block.
The dance floor was packed!
Me and Char in our Baywatch tops.
Hanna, from Iceland, Char, Me and Lisa, from Austria
Friday
Silent Disco in the Freshers Tent on campus. Unfortunately I was feeling a bit under the weather on this day and decided it'd be best if I skipped out on this event as well. However, a silent disco is definitely an event worth talking about. Basically there are two DJs at the event who are competing for people to listen to their mixes. The silent part about it is that you get a set of headphones to listen to the music with instead of it being a jumble of two different songs coming through the speakers. Apparently it is hilarious to take off your headphones throughout the night to see a bunch of people dancing to no music. I'm sad I missed it but I think it was in the best interest of my health. Gotta be feeling good for the start of classes on Monday!

Saturday
Love you Hall in our Cripps Hall Bar. This was a night planned solely for bonding with your specific hall. There is a bar located in almost every hall on campus and so we went to ours to participate in the pub quiz. It's basically exactly the same as a trivia night. After my block lost the quiz (we only knew about three of the answers to the entire quiz... but still had fun trying) I decided to go out to the campus night club with some friends from another block. This campus club is meant for students to have a safe place to go and have fun on the weekends (mostly because all of the locals of Nottingham attend the clubs in town on the weekend).
A few of my roommates and me at the pub quiz. 
Lisa and I at The Den
Sunday
Tonight is the final night of freshers week so a big concert has been planned for all of the freshers. It features about four performers who I have never heard of before and the tickets are pretty expensive... therefore I am being lame again and missing this event as well. Now, before you start judging me, I am still going to do something with a couple girls from my block. We aren't sure exactly what we are doing yet but we are planning to just play it by ear and see where the night takes us! So we will see how it goes!

While freshers week has been a blast I can't help but be a little relieved that it is almost over. I have really enjoyed making new friends and having things to do with them but a week straight of partying is just not something I have the stamina for. I am really looking forward to getting into a routine with classes beginning and starting to plan some weekend trips. 

No comments:

Post a Comment