Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Labor Day Weekend

I spent my labor day weekend in Saluda, NC where my family has owned a house since the 1970's. It was a fun-filled weekend full of nature, swimming, floating, disney channel, golf cart rides, and apples. Here are some pictures with a brief rundown of what I did all weekend.

Zorro can always tell when we are going to the mountains. He was trying not to fall asleep during the whole ride but finally gave in after about an hour.
First glimpse of the mountians 
My family has specific activities that we always do when we are in the mountains. One of the rituals is going into downtown Hendersonville to have lunch do some shopping and most importantly, visit Kilwin's for some delicious fudge. This weekend Hendersonville just so happened to be hosting the Apple Festival downtown. The streets were packed with vendors, entertainment, and thousands of people. According to one of the locals we talked to it is the busiest weekend of the year in Hendersonville. Let me tell you, these people really take their apples seriously! There were apple displays in every store front, candy apple stands everywhere, featured apple specials in all of the restaurants, art in the shape of apples... it was impressive. Unfortunately I was so overwhelmed by the mass amounts of people and activities that I didn't remember to take any photos. However, here are some other randoms from the weekend:

Favorite spot
Lounging in the hammock and reading Fifty Shades... paradise.
There was a hummingbird feeder right outside the window of our living room so we could see these little guys flying by all day.
The next day I was expecting to go hiking (another ritual activity in the mountains). However, my parents came up with a plan to float down the Green River, which is something we haven't done since I was probably about ten years old. You can rent a tube for about $8 and take a two hour trek down a relaxing lazy section of the river. The majority of the float is calm but there are a few small "rapids" that pop up throughout the float. I wasn't able to get any photos because I didn't think my camera could have survived the water. But trust me, this is quickly becoming a new "ritual" for our family mountain weekends. We had a blast.
And here are a few more photos from the weekend:

My sister found this teeny tiny little lizard in our yard


Swimming in the lake 
Some horses down the road from our house

3 comments:

  1. The river float...do you mean the white water rapids that almost killed us when we were ten?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yes same river, a different part though. the rapids weren't quite so intense but it was really fun. i think that traumatic event was the reason we hadn't been back for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHAHAHAHAHA....Charlotte, you saved my life that day. You will forever be dear to me!!!!! I'm going to really miss you girls! Take care of one another!

    ReplyDelete